ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan army said Friday that death toll from the Indian shelling along the Working Boundary in Punjab has reached 6.
An army statement said that 26 civilians were also injured in the Thursday shelling in Chappar, Harpal and Charwa sectors.
Those killed include 4 women while 15 women and 5 children were among the injured, according to the army’s media wing Inter-Services Public Relations.
Pakistan paramilitary troops befittingly responded on posts targeting civil population, the statement said.
It is the second time Indian forces fired into areas along the Working Boundary in 10 days.
Pakistan said on Sept. 13 that at least one civilian was killed in Indian firing along the Working Boundary in Phuklian Sector.
Pakistan and India had declared ceasefire along the Line of Control and the Working Boundary in 2003.
Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi told the UN General Assembly on Friday India “frequently violates the ceasefire along the Line of Control in Kashmir to divert the world’s attention from its brutalities.”
“Despite over 600 violations since January this year Pakistan has acted with restraint. But if India does venture across the LoC, or acts upon its doctrine of “limited” war against Pakistan, it will evoke a strong and matching response,” PM Abbasi said.
He said the international community must act decisively to prevent the situation from a dangerous escalation.
The latest incident occurred as escalation along the LoC and Working Boundary has been seen since gunmen attacked an army center in the Indian-occupied Kashmir killed 19 soldiers on Sept. 18 last year.
The Indian military blamed Jaish-e-Mohammad group for the attack and also pointed fingers at Pakistan. However, Islamabad rejected the charges and suggested an independent investigation.
Hizb-ul-Mujahideen had claimed responsibility for the attack.