Victims of rights abuses hold sit-in protest in Srinagar

ISLAMABAD:Victims of human rights abuses held a sit-in protest at Pratap Park in Srinagar to inform the world about the miseries inflicted by tens of thousands of Indian occupational forces on them in the territory.

The protest was organized by rights activist Mohammad Ahsan Untoo who was detained by the police before the event could begin. Among the protesters was a youth, Farooq Ahmad Dar, who on 9 April 2017 was tied to the bonnet of a jeep by an Indian army officer, Major Leetul Gogoi, and paraded through several villages, reported.

The puppet administration recently declined Human Rights Commission’s recommendation asking it to pay Dar compensation.

Nasrullah from Devsar, Lolab in Kupwara district, recalled the 11-hour-long torture army had subjected him to. “I received a call from my sister who lives in Tremukh. She said her cattle have not returned to her place. I and four other people rode horses and set toward her place. On way, we have to stop at an army camp to register our names. I marked my entry in the register and Manzoor who was with us started chatting with a soldier.

A sentry told me that Major sahib was looking for me. I went inside the camp where a doctor checked my pulse. He told the Major that my pulse rate is high. The Major then started beating me and said some militants were hiding at our place. They beat me up with belts and iron rods. Three soldiers kicked my abdomen. From another room, I heard Manzoor’s screams,” he said.

“I heard the Major telling Manzoor ‘why don’t you admit that militants were there, your brother Nasrulla said they were there’. If they had beaten Manzoor like they beat me he would have died because he has a cardiac problem,” said Nasrulla.

At 9 pm, he said, he was dumped outside the camp.

“The soldiers were telling each other ‘he should not die inside the camp.’” Both his kidneys have been damaged. Manzoor has not been seen since the day he was detained at the camp.

Sharing his woes was another person by the name of Manzoor Ahmad, whose 16-year-old son Zahid suffered serious internal injuries after the forces emptied a cartridge full of 300 shotgun pellets into his belly at NawaKadal about a fortnight ago.

Holding a photo of his incarcerated brother Abdul SamadInqalabi, Nazir Ahmad Malla also participated in the sit-in. He said Samad had been tortured at the district jail Kathua.

The other victims who participated were Mohammad Yousuf Raja, 80, who had been tortured at Joint Interrogation Centre in 1995 and Gulshan, whose son was subjected to enforced custodial disappearance by the police in 1997.